Ever pull out your box of chocolate and notice that the chocolate has turned gray or white? You might think it happened because your chocolate is old, but that’s not necessarily true and it doesn’t mean that you should pitch that chocolate. A lot of people will just throw a chocolate bar out if they see these white coating on it, because of the obvious question. But before you toss it out, stop and read this!
Is it still safe to eat?
Answer: It is safe.
Though the chocolate may taste and feel a little different when these spots appear, it’s still safe to gobble up. There’s nothing wrong with it.
The culprit is something called chocolate bloom, which comes in two forms. It causes your previously pure and shiny chocolate to develop a grainy, splotchy appearance and a less-than-smooth texture.
The two kinds of harmless chemical reactions: Sugar blooms and fat blooms. These reactions happen when there’s a quick temperature change, or chocolate is stored in a damp area and exposed to the sun. White spots are just the sugar crystals depositing on the surface of the chocolate.
Can you protect your chocolate from catching Chocolate Bloom?
Yes! By keeping it dry and cool. Turns out, 18* Celsius is the sweet spot.
If you allow your candy to sit through various temperature changes and an uncomfortable climate, it’s not going to look as good as new anymore. The refrigerator is actually too humid for chocolate, so keep it in a dry and cool part of your kitchen. You can also keep your chocolate bar in an airtight container.
Still, want your chocolate bar as it was before?
You can reverse “bloomed” chocolate by melting it down and then molding it again — this brings the fat back into the actual candy.
Have any other suggestions for storing chocolate safely? Let us know.